You are here: Home | Home | Partner agency information | Domestic Abuse

Domestic Abuse

Domestic Abuse is defined by Women’s Aid as “an incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading and violent behaviour, including sexual violence, in the majority of cases by a partner or ex-partner, but also by a family member or carer. It is very common. In the vast majority of cases it is experienced by women and is perpetrated by men”. 

Domestic Abuse can include, but is not limited to:

  • Coercive control, which is a pattern of intimidation, isolation and control with the use and/or threat of physical or sexual violence;
  • Psychological and/or emotional abuse;
  • Physical and/or sexual abuse;
  • Financial or economic abuse;
  • Harassment and stalking; and
  • Online or digital abuse.

Violence can also be directed towards children, other family members, friends and pets, and abuse can happen in any relationship.

In Telford and Wrekin, there are a number of services who can support someone affected by Domestic Abuse. Further information and signposting can be found on the Family Connect website.

If you or someone you know is at risk or is experiencing Domestic Abuse, there are a number of agencies you can contact for advice and support. 

  • National Domestic Violence Helpline is a 24 hour service, who can support someone who may have fled their home and in need of a place of safety, discuss fears and offer support and offer assistance in terms of housing guidance, legal rights and reassurance about calling the police. They can be contacted on 0808 2000 247, and it is a free phone number
  • West Mercia Women’s Aid can be contacted if you are worried or frightened by your partner or ex-partner, a family member or someone close to you. Please ring 0800 783 1359, where support, advice and information will be given
  • West Mercia Police can be contacted if you want to report an incident, and this can be done by either ringing 101 which is the non-emergency number, or by going to your local police station to speak to someone in person.

If it is an emergency or there is an immediate danger, always ring 999.