You are here: Home | Latest News | Home | News | Help for those who have experienced Sexual Assault

Latest News

Help for those who have experienced Sexual Assault

Published: Thursday, 3 March 2022

Telford and Wrekin Safeguarding Partnership are helping raise awareness of Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) and what they can offer to survivors.

As part of a cross government commitment to tackle hidden harms arising from the pandemic, the NHS and partners are raising awareness of SARCs and encouraging victims and survivors of sexual assault and abuse to seek help.

SARCs are commissioned by NHS England, NHS Improvement and Police and Crime Commissioners. They offer a range of services, including crisis care, medical and forensic examinations, emergency contraception and testing for sexually transmitted infections. SARCs can also arrange access to an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA), as well as referrals to mental health support and voluntary sector sexual violence support services. These services are located across the country and available via appointment 24/7.


How individuals can access a SARC


  • Anyone who has experienced rape, sexual assault or sexual abuse, regardless of how long ago, can attend a SARC.
  • Individuals can telephone their nearest SARC to make an appointment or ask someone else, such as a healthcare professional, 111 call handler, friend or family member to do this. Contact details for SARCs are available via this directory of services.
  • Adults who access a SARC will have the option of reporting an incident to the police. There is no pressure for them to do this and it is their choice to make.
  • Referrals for children are managed via children’s social care and / or police services.
  • Information on SARCs and help following sexual assault and abuse is available on the NHS website 


If you have been a victim of sexual assualt, please report this to the Police